Freedom of Information

Please note: During the COVID-19 pandemic the majority of Adelaide Hills Council staff are working remotely, and whilst it is not anticipated this will impact on timelines for Freedom of Information applications, should an extension of time be required due to the availability of manual records we will contact you to discuss.

Many of Council's policies, codes and registers are available through Council's Service Centres for inspection and/or purchase by the public (for a fee as set out in Council's Fees and Charges Policy).  Most are available on this website at no charge. 

A list of these documents are contained in our Freedom of Information Statement. 

Requests to access other Council and Council Committee documents can be made under the Freedom of Information Act 1991.

Freedom of Information (FOI) applications should be submitted using the correct application form and be as specific as possible to enable the correct documents to be identified. Application forms are available and applications can be made online at State Records.

An application fee (in accordance with Council's Fees & Charges Policy) must accompany the application. Applications under this legislation will be dealt with as soon as practicable (and in any case, within 30 days) after receipt.

The State Records website also has detailed information on the FOI process.

FOI requests should be addressed to:
Freedom of Information Officer
Adelaide Hills Council
PO Box 44
Woodside SA 5244

For further information on Freedom of Information applications, please contact us.

Access to Building Plans and Engineering Reports

In 1997 the District Councils of East Torrens, Gumeracha, Onkaparinga and Stirling amalgamated to form the Adelaide Hills Council.  As not all properties in the Council area have comprehensive records available, you should first contact us and request to speak to a Records Officer who can help determine what might be available for your property, before you make a formal application. If you make a formal application you will be required to pay the relevant fee.

As most records are kept in off-site storage, retrieval may take up to ten working days. A Records Officer will contact you when they are available for viewing. Once retrieved, plans and reports will be made available to view at a council office by appointment during normal business hours (Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm).

If you require copies of plans and reports (in paper or electronic format), copyright release may be required from the copyright owner. Records Officers will advise you if this is the case and how this may affect the timeframe for providing the information.

For further information on copyright, visit the Australian Copyright Council website.

Amendment to Council Records

Any member of the public may inspect Council Documents relating to their personal affairs by a request under Part 4 Division 2 of the Freedom of Information Act 1991. A member of the public may request a correction to any information about themselves that is incomplete, incorrect or misleading, or out-of-date.

Access to relevant Council records by a member of the public or Amendment to any Council records under this section, can be requested by completing an application form available from State Records.