Dog registration
Lost and impounded dogs
Barking dogs 
Dog fact sheets
Dogs and open spaces
Dog harrassment or attacks


All dogs must be registered once they reach three months of age.  It is the responsibility of the owner to ensure that their dog(s) are registered each year.

Since 1 July 2018, all dog registration details are stored on a state-wide database that replaces 68 separate dog registration databases. This change ensures that registration details move with the dog (between new houses or new owners), and lost dogs can be identified from any council district in the state and reunited with their owner sooner.

To register your dog/s

Visit the Dog and Cats Online (DACO) portal and follow the online registration instructions. Click here to see our current registration fees.

If renewing an existing registration you will need to enter the unique code received with your renewal notice; you cannot renew your registration until you receive your unique code. You will also require:

  • An email address (if you don't have an email address you will need to attend a Council office to register your dog)
  • Your driver's licence number
  • Any concession cards
  • Certificate of microchipping/desexing if your dog was microchipped/desexed prior to 1 July 2018 (microchipping has been mandatory since 1 July 2018)

DACO will send you a grey registration disc with a number that will stay with your dog indefinitely*. You may alternatively purchase a metal dog disc, badge, or tag from a provider of your choice and have it engraved with your dog's permanent registration number.

The animal registration record attached to this number will contain information about:

  • The breeder of the dog
  • Microchip status and who microchipped the dog
  • Desexing status and who desexed the dog
  • Control orders placed on the dog
  • Historical information about the dog

This will make it easier for Rangers to locate owners of found dogs, for owners to transfer registration if you move house or change owners, and ensures potential ill practices can be identified. There will still be an annual registration fee for your dog.

*Using a life-time disc will reduce up to 600kg of landfill waste per year generated by the replacement of annual plastic tags. However, if your plastic disc is damaged or lost, you can request a replacement online.

Should your dog pass away, please contact council and inform us or log into your Dogs and Cats Online account where you will be able to update the status of your animal.

^Back to top

Council often receives notice of lost or found dogs, and we delight in reuniting dogs 'at large' with their owners. Click here for more information about lost dogs and dog impoundment.

^Back to top

Some people think it is normal for dogs to bark constantly. It isn't. Barking dogs are a nuisance and not conducive to good neighbourly relations. Furthermore, excessive barking usually means your dog is bored, lonely or frustrated.

  • Ensure your dog gets plenty of exercise, companionship and has a comfortable, safe, enclosed place to sleep.
  • Obedience training may help stop dogs barking. If this is unsuccessful, there are established services providing professional advice on overcoming behavioural problems.
  • Click here to download an information kit for dog owners.

Complaints due to excessive barking are amongst the most frequent received by Council.

If a dog is barking persistently and interfering with the peace and comfort of the neighbourhood, Council's experienced Community Safety Officers can provide assistance to resolve the problem.

Council send the complainant a barking dog information kit to complete this is to establish if a problem, Council's experienced Rangers can provide assistance to resolve the problem.

If the dog continues to create a noise which persistently occurs or unreasonably interferes with the peace, comfort or convenience of a person, the owner may be fined or have a Control (Barking Dog) Order placed on the dog.

^Back to top

The website Good Dog is an excellent source of information for all dog owners. It includes information on what dog breeds might suit you and your family, how to manage dogs around children, laws for dog ownership and much more.

It is also a great resource for fact sheets on topics such as dog training, microchips, desexing, aggression and more. Click here to visit the Good Dog website

^Back to top

​Providing suitable on- and off-leash activity areas is vital to the success of animal management in our Council area.

Dog owners require suitable areas to exercise their dogs safely. Equally, other members of the community must have the ability to use open space and recreation amenities without the fear of uncontrolled dogs, uncollected dog faeces and other nuisances.

Dogs must be on leash on all roads, streets and footways. There are a number of dog friendly parks in our district where owners can exercise their dogs off leash. Some reserves may have restricted off leash times to meet the needs of other users; please check for signs at each park or reserve to view restrictions, hours of operation, and your responsibilities as a dog owner.

Click here to download a map of visitor-friendly on- and off-leash areas in the district (note that the map is not comprehensive; please check signs at your favourite walking location).

Wright Road Dog Park (Evelyn Halliday Reserve) is an especially popular fenced park in Stirling dedicated to off-leash dog exercise. It provides many features including:

  • over two acres of fenced, off-leash space
  • a separate puppy/small dog area
  • dog agility equipment
  • a water play area
  • natural surroundings
  • off-street car parking

This park is open from 7:00am Monday to Friday, and from 9:00am on weekends and public holidays, and closes at sunset.

Please consider other users at this facility and ensure dogs remain under effective control at all times.

 ^Back to top


If you have an encounter with a dog that is aggressive, or it attacks or harasses you, it’s important to report the incident so we can help manage any dogs that may be a risk to the community. Please report all incidents to Council immediately on (08) 8408 0400 or

In the case of an incident occurring, first consider the safety of yourself, your animal, or anyone else involved. If needed, please seek medical or veterinary attention immediately after a dog attack.

Adelaide Hills Council offers assistance to dog attacks/harassments 7 days a week 24 hours a day if it is immediate (occurring now). When safe to do so report the incident to us on 8408 0400.

To assist the investigating Ranger, please keep your own notes detailing:

  • The date, time and location of the attack
  • A description of the offending dog(s):
    • Identification or registration disc number (if possible)
    • Name (if possible)
    • Breed, colour, sex, estimated age, and
    • Any other distinguishing markings
  • A description of the owner:
    • Gender
    • Estimated age, weight, height, hair colour, or
    • Identification, name/address/phone number if they are willing to provide this
  • The address from which the offending dog may have come from, if known
  • Car registration number, make/model and colour of vehicle if the offending owner drove away with the dog
  • A description and photographs of any injuries to a person or animal

You should also keep copies of any medical documents, vet reports or doctor's bills as evidence.

What happens when a report is made?
Rangers will attend as soon as possible when contacted at the time of the attack or harassment. If the offending dog is still 'at large' (i.e. not with an owner) a Ranger will attend immediately to restrain the dog and that dog may be impounded.

A statement will be taken from all persons involved, including any witnesses, and photographs may be taken by Rangers of any injuries to yourself or your animals. After gathering supporting evidence and assessing the circumstances, the Rangers will decide whether any action is required to prevent further attacks or harassments, take appropriate action, and inform all parties of the outcome.

What action/s can Council take?
If there is insufficient evidence, or depending on the circumstances of the incident, Council may take no action. Otherwise they may:

  • Issue a warning
  • Expiate for offences of the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995
  • Impose a Control Order such as: Nuisance, Menacing, Dangerous or Destruction Dog Order. Each order will have conditions to control the dog such as leashing or muzzling requirements
  • Take direct court action

What is the law?
Section 44(2) of the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995 makes it an offence for a dog to attack, harass, or chase a person, animal or bird owned by a person, whether or not actual injury is caused.

Council acknowledges that we conduct our business on the traditional lands and waters of the Peramangk and Kaurna people. We pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging as the Custodians of this ancient and beautiful land.
© Copyright Adelaide Hills Council 2020